Thursday, April 15, 2010

Training Day 2

I have decided to finally write in here again. I am actually surprises that my Blog still exists! I need to use that space now to journal my training. I am entered to run in the Roots n Blues n BBQ 10k on October 2, 2010. Only 5 months from now. I have no seriously ran in about 10 years and then, I did not really seriously run. Just for marching band and previously for wrestling.

Yet, more importantly, I need to run to get healthy. I am roughly 260-270 lbs and about 6 ft tall...not good. I really don't eat all that bad, but I have too many snacks and physical activity is relegated to yard work and playing with the kids, and I huff and puff doing that. Not good. I don't want to die before my kids graduate HS, college, get married, have kids, etc...at least if it is something I can do to avoid it.

My personal policy used to be that I only ran if someone was chasing me...not sure if I can even do that now. Anyway, I am using the 10k to motivate me to get out there and train. I have some beautiful trails to run and need to start using them.

My first day of running was on Tuesday April 13 and I am using a free program from the internet, http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml, and I modified it slightly since I am used to doing physical activity in my past. So I am altering the running section to 90 seconds of running then 60 seconds of walking. So, far it is working well. The first day I did O.K. and made it most of the way through until I had to walk more than run. I am O.K. with that because at least I am out there.

Day 2 was today and it felt great! I went farther and faster than yesterday, but did not need to kill myself. I found a great turnaround point in my trail and a really cool ravine to hike down with a great steep stair climb at the end. Great burn! I feel wonderful and have more energy than I have had in a while. Who would have know that burning energy actually GAVE you energy. I am so pumped and excited to finally look and feel the way I want to.

Praise be to GOD who got me through it!

Sam

No comments: